Pediatric Dentistry & Nightguards in Tampa FL
Our bodies can sometimes do strange things while we are asleep. Talking and even walking during slumber are well documented. However, there is also a common night-time condition that can seriously compromise your dental health, teeth grinding, or what is also known as bruxism.
What is bruxism?
Bruxism is the name given to the condition whereby a patient clenches and grinds their teeth during sleep. This often happens repeatedly during a single period of sleep, and while no official cause has been recorded, bruxism if often attributed to high levels of stress or anxiety.
Some of the problems that bruxism can cause include:
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Worn tooth enamel
- Teeth that seem ‘blunt’
- Damage to the teeth, including cracks, chips and even loosening of the teeth
- Pain in the jaw, face and ear
- Persistent headaches, particularly in the morning
Nightguards – the solution for a great night of sleep
Thankfully, nightguards can help to alleviate the symptoms caused by clenching and grinding the teeth. They are rubber moulds that are worn over the top of your teeth to prevent them from coming into contact while you sleep.
It is possible to purchase some ‘sized’ varieties of nightguard over the counter, but most patients find that these are uncomfortable and less effective.
However, Dr. Alex can arrange for a custom-created nightguard to be supplied by a professional dental lab. Designed specifically for your teeth, the nightguard will feel much more natural and will thoroughly protect your teeth from the damage caused by night-time clenching and grinding.
Visiting the dentist can be an unsettling experience for an adult, let alone a child. That is why Dr. Alex and the team at Today’s Family Dental take great care to create a reassuring, welcoming atmosphere for the hugely important little people in your life.
Pediatric dentistry services that we can provide include:
- Regular assessment appointments where we can check on the growth and health of your child’s teeth
- Professional cleaning and fluoride treatments
- Restorative treatments as and when they may be required
- Early assessment for potential orthodontic treatments such as braces or Invisalign®
- Care and management of any gum-related problems including gum disease and impacted teeth
- Advice and assistance with behaviors that may negatively impact the teeth such as extended reliance on a pacifier or thumb-sucking
- Education on the importance of a good diet and tooth-brushing routine for long-term oral health
Dr. Alex and the team understand the unique needs of their youngest visitors and deliver comprehensive pediatric dentistry in a calm, friendly environment that will have your child looking forward to their appointments.
To find out more about dental nightguards and pediatric dentistry at Today’s Family Dental, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Dr. Alex Afsahi and the team look forward to helping you and your family achieve and maintain exceptional oral health. Call us today at 813-370-1700 to schedule an appointment.